Skype for Business connects people everywhere, on devices running Windows 8 and other operating systems, as part of their everyday productivity experience. Skype provides a consistent, single client experience for presence, instant messaging, voice, video and a great meeting experience. Skype users can connect to anyone on Skype, enabling rich communication with hundreds of millions of people around the world.
How it works
Organizations can purchase Skype for Business as a standalone service from Microsoft Office 365 or as part of an Office 365 for enterprises suite that includes Skype for Business, Microsoft Exchange Online, Microsoft SharePoint Online, Microsoft Office Professional Plus, and Microsoft Office Web Apps.
Organizations that subscribe to Skype for Business retain control over the collaboration services they offer to users, but they do not have the operational burden of on-premises server software. With the Skype for Business multi-tenant hosted plans, Skype is hosted on multi-tenant servers that support multiple customers simultaneously. These servers are housed in Microsoft data centers and are accessible to users on a wide range of devices from inside a corporate network or over the Internet.
Skype for Business features
- Get real-time presence information—including photos, availability status, and location—and enhanced instant messaging (IM) to connect efficiently and effectively.
- Make voice calls through your computer to other Skype or Skype users in your organization or in other organizations that use Skype or Skype.
- Create, moderate, and join pre-planned and on-the-fly audio, video, and web meetings with people inside and outside your organization.
- Enhance online presentations with screen-sharing and virtual whiteboards.
- Let customers participate in your Skype conference calls even if they are not Office 365 or Skype for Business customers.
|Skype for Business |
|Skype for Business
|Rich Presence, IM (1:1 and multiparty), Microsoft Office interoperability|
|Public Cloud IM/P federation with Windows live|
|Skype to Skype Calling (voice and HD video, 1:1)|
|Desktop, Application, and Whiteboard Sharing|
|Multiparty (3+) Audio/Video/Content Sharing (Scheduled and Ad hoc)|
|Meeting Controls (Organizer, Lobby Experience, Join From)|
|Enhanced In-meeting Note Taking with OneNote Sharing|
|Interoperability with 3rd Party Audio Conferencing Providers|
|Skype Multi-party Video|
|Skype Mobile Clients|
|Skype Web App|